Access Keys:



25th Oct 2017
The European Day of Languages was celebrated on the 26th September. The Languages...
25th Oct 2015
Year 10 and Year 11 Geography and Spanish pupils had a fantastic experience in Barcelona...

Key Stage 3 Overview

Pupils gain a basic introduction to the language through a series of listening, speaking, reading and writing tasks, which cover a broad range of topics such as personalia, family, pets, hobbies and school life. A variety of teaching strategies are used including group work, pair work, interactive games and activities. The learning of each unit is supplemented with relevant worksheets and opportunities to develop linguistic capabilities through the use of interactive language websites both in school and at home to consolidate new information. 

GCSE Overview

Skills acquired at Key Stage 3 are further developed in Years 11 and 12, to meet the requirements of the CEA specification for GCSE. The topics studied are selected from the three Contexts for Learning:   The Individual, Citizenship and Employability. In the course of the two years, pupils will complete two Speaking and two Writing Controlled Assessment tasks, which represent 60% of the final mark at the end of Year 12. The Speaking Tasks are conducted and marked by the class teacher and externally moderated. The Writing tasks are completed as a one-hour exam in class and sent to CEA for marking. The remaining 40% is made up of one Listening and one Reading Comprehension, which are examined externally at the end of Year 12. For these exams pupils have the opportunity to select between Foundation and Higher Level.

A-Level Overview

The two years of study are divided into an AS specification for Year 13 and A2 for Year 14, to meet the requirements of the CEA examinations board. At AS level topics studied are selected from the three Contexts for Learning: Relationships, Health and Lifestyle and Young People in Society. At A2 Level the contexts are Local and Global Citizenship and Environmental Awareness. A range of linguistic skills is required to enable pupils to complete tasks in Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing exams. At A2 level the study of a film and one novel is included. For more detailed information about the A Level course, please refer to




  • Mrs A Burtney (Head of Spanish)

  • Mrs S Brownlees

  • Mrs E Weir

  • Mrs C Downey (temporary)                                       

  • Srta Francisca  Ruíz (Spanish Assistant)

In our department we strive to ensure that language learning is a positive and enjoyable experience for all pupils. Our aim is to inspire confidence through achievement of individual personal best and development of linguistic capabilities to the highest degree. We raise awareness of other countries and cultures and promote communication skills which are transferable to other areas of life. We emphasise the importance of language acquisition at all levels throughout the school.

   “The conquest of learning is achieved through the knowledge of languages.”